March 24, 2013

Spotlight On...Oriental Whispers


The Delaware Etsy Street Team proudly presents Kelly Martin from OrientalWhispers as our featured member in the spolight.  Kelly is a self taught artist, and is teaching herself Japanese ink-painting or Sumi-e. While you can find sumi-e in her shop, there are items that reflect her variety of hobbies and interests. Everything in her shop is painted or photographed by Kelly, herself.  Below is just a sampling of the items you can find in her shop.




(Hedgehog Sumie Greeting Card, Chinese Calligraphy Wine Glass, Fern Kokedama, Butterfly Photo Print, Dipped Wine Glass, Asian Calligraphy Vase)

In her own words:

I have always been intrigued by how effortless many Asian paintings look (even though they are not) and have dabbled at teaching my self the techniques of brush painting. While in a craft store to get supplies for brush painting I happened upon some glass paints and I grabbed a few and couldn't wait to get home to try them out on some old glasses. I enjoy learning new techniques and working with different mediums while trying to impart some Asian flair into my items. 

After learning about Etsy from a friend it took me about two years to get the courage to decide to open up my own shop, and I have been on Etsy for about five months now.


I recently was a vendor at my first craft show and I will be attending another one on April 13 at the Elkton High School in Maryland. 

3 comments: